Purplicious – Centred QAL Finished!

I must be firing on all four cylinders as this is the fourth Quilt Along (QAL), hosted by Sandra from mmm!Quilts, in which I have participated. I became acquainted with Sandra when I was in a group called the New Quilt Bloggers in 2017. For those who haven’t followed me for a long time or those who have forgotten what they were, I thought I would do a quick reprise of the prior QALs.

The QALs were as follows: Free Fall QAL in 2017, Playtime Plus in 2018 and Beothuk in 2019. There is often a shadowy part in her quilts, so I nicknamed her the Shadow Quilter some time ago.

It felt like it would be rude not to play along, but all the prior QALs I used something that I had in my stash, which is often my rule for QALs. It helps me use fabric I already have, quilt along with fun people, and make a quilt. What cold be more fun? This grouping of fabrics from my stash was just right – all had just about what I needed. When I picked them, I was hoping the Kaffe Fasset might work, but it did not make the final cut. The great thing is that the last two QALs, Elvira, and now this one are doing a fine job in depleting my stash of teals and purples!

First up were the block units. The block is a log cabin variation; we made 6 different ones for this pattern. So, in 4 weeks a top was born!

The top was assembled and then it waited a bit. Somehow, this quilt was calling for custom quilting to me, not an overall pantograph. I was stalling the quilting because I didn’t have a lot of fabrics for backing that would work with this quilt.

I asked one of my quilting bees, the Sewatorium Sisters, about these two options, no one was enthusiastic. I knew the grey would work, but I like my backs to be more complementary to the front. It is my quilt you know, so I get to be fussy. In the end, I decided to use some purple solids I had, a few pieces of leftovers from the front, and just the tiniest bit of grey for the back.

I forgot some of the pieces weren’t full width of fabric but I had enough to add to the sides. This really does show up the quilting and I am so glad about my decision. The thread I used is from Superior Threads, Omni #3125 Purplelicious*! I just loved the way it looked on the quilt.

Yup, I spent a lot of time custom quilting this. The first two rows went quickly. I used patterns called Aloha Sashing and Funky Feathers Petite, both from Urban Elements but included in the Prostitcher Library.

I then used this Handi Quilter pattern called Line Illusion in the squares. There were two, one single block and one double block. I used both. Like Sandra, I liked the idea of emphasizing the center square. There was a lot of adjust areas and boundaries to make the patterns fit. My Prostitcher does so much and I learned a lot doing this (not my intention), but I did!

And, I liked the idea of this Cat’s Eye pattern (HQ design again) in the large light borders. I used a Hobbs Tuscanny Wool* batting for the first time on my longarm, and it moved a little more than I expected. Nothing drastic but I never had this happen before. Now I know to watch for this. I am also anxious to wash and see what I think. I love the lightness of it and the definition it gives the quilting.

I have to say I love this! What fun to have this happen on a quilt that you just make to play along. Using a well loved stash surely helps make a quilt you love!

This may be my favorite finish for the year. I can’t thank Sandra enough for offering this fun QAL with such great results. The pattern is now available in her Etsy shop, Sandra Jane Quilts. 

Purple Rain
39.5″ x 53.5″
Pattern: Centred by Sandra Walker
Batting: Hobbs Tuscany Wool
Piecing Thread: Aurifil 50 wt, Dove*
Quilting Thread: Superior Omni Thread, Purplicious
Prostitcher Designs: Aloha Sashing, Funky Feathers Petite, Cat Eyes, and Line Illusion.

Coming Up on the Blog:
Tips and Tutorial (6/22)
Stitching Sunshine Hop (6/25)
Monthly Color Block (7/1)
Partners in Design Announcement (7/7)
Pattern Release (TBD)

Linking Up:
Centred QAL Linky Party
For the Love of Geese
Friday Foto Fun
Link Party Patchwork & Quilts #6
Midweek Makers #233
Wait Loss Wednesday
UFO Busting #111

Disclaimer: *Links with asterisk indicate an affiliate link. Your price is not any different, but a small percentage of the sale will go to supporting my blog.

My Favorite Tools

Oliso Irons
Omni Thread, Purplelicious
Aurifil 50 weight thread
Hobbs Tuscanny Wool Batting
Freezer Paper Sheets
Nexcare Clear Skin Tape
Cluck Cluck Sew Tape
Simple Folded Corners Ruler
Free Motion Quilting Workbook
Shape by Shape Collection 2
Shape by Shape
DayLight Wafer 1 Light Box
Freezer paper
Siteground Web Hosting
LoveCrafts Affiliate
Dream Cotton Batting
Sidekick Ruler
Hex N More Ruler
4″ Circular Plastic Needlepoint
Awesome Ocean Pattern
Schmetz NonStick Needle
Sulky Totally Stable
Oliso Mini Iron
Barn Quilt by Sherry Shish
Applique Pressing Sheet
Mary Ellen’s Best Press Starch
Clover Bias Tape Maker 12mm
Woven Diamonds Pattern
Hobbs Premium 80/20 Batting
Woven Star Pattern
Wefty Needle
Quilt Hanger
Fat Quarter Shop
Oliso TG110 Smart Iron
Westalee Sampler Template Set
Mettler 60 wt. Cotton Embroidery Thread
Sandboard for Hand Sewing/Appliqué
Clover Needle Threader
Sewline Black and White Pencil
Sewline Grey Pencil
Backyard Birds
Wing Clipper
Quilt Pounce
Hobbs Thermore Batting
Clover Chaco Liner – silver
Turnabout Patchwork by Terese Mairal Barreau
Sewline Glue Pen
Fusible 1″ Hexagon Paper
Fusible Appliqué Paper
Sizzix 3 1/2″ half square triangle
Electric Quilt 8
Sizzix Big Shot
Quilter’s Dream Select Batting
Quilt in A Day Log Cabin
Judy Martin Log Cabin
Emiko Toda Loeb
3M Command Strip Clothespins
Paper Templates for Lucy Boston
Lucy Boston Templates,MPP
Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Cross
Clover Wonder Clips
Thread magic
Bluprint Quilting Classes
Clearly Perfect Angles
Sizzix Big Shot Plus
Slotted Triangle Trimmer