Block 10 is up this week! Our designer, Becca from Pretty Piney Quilts has done a fabulous job. We need to know where to go, so signs are surely help. You get tomake your own fun sign to point to some of your favorite destinations.
I loved making this block. Becca’s directions are perfect – there is little I can tell you to help you along. You are all such pros at appliqué by this stage of the Quilt Along but I did come up with two suggestions:
1. I decided to have two arrows point to the right rather than left.
2. Because of the amount of edgestitching, my preferred method would be straight line stitching rather than zig zag or blanket. You could even do it free motion if you are skilled!
Please go to Becca’s blog to obtain her pattern: Follow Your Arrow.
Now one little bonus I have for you is a little tutorial for the adventurous on how to use Inkscape to make your own sheet of letters. This gives me control over what I cut/trace/print for the appliqué.
- Open Inkscape
- Drag the PDF of the alphabet into Inkscape
- Open File -> Document Properties -> and change these things
- Display units -> Inches
- Page Size -> US Letter
- Open Path -> Trace Bitmap (this changes the lines to something you can read
- Open Object -> Ungroup
- Move any letter you will use to the left side of the page
(for me: a b c e f h i m r y)
- Select all the letters remaining on the page and delete
- Move the letters into words and duplicate letters as you need them.
- Save as SVG file if you want to cut on a machine
- Save as PDF file if you want to print on a fusible sheet of paper
Be sure to check out the other hosts for their versions (above) of our block and their hints for making it!
Segment 3 has begun and we are getting near the end. There are two opportunities for prizes: 1) Segment 3 and 2) the Grand Prize.
The prize for Segment 3 will be awarded on October 19th. Anyone who has completed all 4 blocks, substantially like the designers’ pattern, is eligible to win. You must post your picture on our linky page, our Facebook group, or Instagram with #DestinationQAL.
The Grand Prize will be awarded on November 16th. Anyone who has completed all 12 blocks, substantially like the designers’ pattern, is eligible to win. You must post your picture on our linky page, our Facebook group, or Instagram with #DestinationQAL of all 12 blocks finished! It does not have to be in a quilt, but the blocks must be done.
Good luck to all who are sewing this week. If you need anything, feel free to email the designers or ask questions in the Facebook group!
Coming Up on the Blog:
Tips and Tutorials on the 22nd – 9/22
TGIFF – 9/23
Block 11 – Destination QAL – 9/28
3 Benefit Quilts
Block 12 – Destination QAL – 10/5
Disclaimer: *Links with asterisk indicate an affiliate link. Your price is not any different, but a small percentage of the sale will go to supporting my blog.