This block is a little different than our traditional offerings. Karen Thurn and I put together this block to represent the city of your dreams…it could be one you went to or a place you might long to go to. The fun thing about this block is you get to design it! We kind of see this as a lego for a quilter – build your own city.
This is a version similar to what I made. The block has many buildings and windows and includes some fun ones: the Statue of Liberty, a capital building, the Eiffel Tower, etc. I think you will have fun playing with it.
Please download the block here.
- NOTE: If you don’t get an email right away (within 2 minutes), you probably mispelled your email. You can send me an email if you have trouble at email@example.com.
Now for a few hints to get you thinking before you begin working on the pattern.
1. I use printable fusible and like Heat N Bond Ex-Print Feathrelite*. It takes away the tracing step, so one less thing for me to do.
2. Select a fabric that does some of the work, for instance, interesting patterns, window-like patterns, etc.
3. Use a ruler and a small rotary cutter or Exacto knife to cut some of the easy lines. You can continue with scissors to clean it up.
4. Look at the pieces and decide how you are using them. For the bridge, I decided to trace my “windows” so that it would reveal the underlying pieces.
4. Use a monofilament thread or one that blends if you don’t want to change threads often.
Karen always has fabulous hints, so check out my partner in
crime design HERE.
Be sure to check out the other hosts for their versions (above) of our block and their hints for making it!
Segment 2 marches along, but if you are late to the party, you can go back to prior posts and get the blocks. They are free from all the designers until the end of the hop (November 16, 2021).
The segment 2 prize will be awarded on September 14th. Anyone who has completed all 4 blocks, substantially like the designers’ pattern, is eligible to win. You must post your picture on our linky page, our Facebook group or Instagram with #DestinationQAL. Links and more particulars will be in my Block 8 post.
Prize Sponsors include many of our designers and many terrific quilting companies and magazines. Their links are below…be sure to check them out.
Good luck to all who are sewing this week. If you need anything, feel free to email the designers or ask questions in the Facebook group!
Disclaimer: *Links with asterisk indicate an affiliate link. Your price is not any different, but a small percentage of the sale will go to supporting my blog.
Coming Up on the Blog:
Block 8 – Destination QAL – 8/31
Block 9 – Destination QAL – 9/14
Block 10 – Destination QAL – 9/21
Tips and Tutorials on the 22nd – 9/22
Block 11 – Destination QAL – 9/28
Block 12 – Destination QAL – 10/5