My Blue Mountains

I am always happy to hop along and the Winter Blues Hop hosted by Carla Henton of Creatin’ in the Sticks is no exception.

I received the fabrics from Love Crafts* and signed up for the blog hop around the same time. You can read about the Windham fat quarters here. They really were the perfect inspiration for this blog hop.

Jonathan and John at Hawk Mountain, 4/2004

The Blue Mountains are part of the Appalacian Trail and run diagonally through Pennsylvania. There is a wonderful spot, Hawk Mountain, that I have visited many times. Hawk Mountain is in Now, they are much more rolling hills than peaks, but they were my Blue Mountains, and I love them.

April 2004

Half Rectangles (HRTs) were calling my name and I started to play with this simple idea of mountains. I had seen a few other mountainy quilts, but went with an idea of only using HRTs but I needed to then add some different angles and used what appear to be isosceles triangles (although I didn’t measure them to see if that’s what they are) The collection of Windham blues is just fabulous for this project; they have such a wintry feel to them.

I designed it in Electric Quilt 8.* Now, as I made it, I got myself in a bit of trouble. Fat Quarters are only so big and I tried using my TriRecs ruler – misremembering the block size. In the end, I made templates from EQ8 and found that worked much better. I did paper piecing with freezer paper* – perfect!

The only problem is that there were two instances of the HRTs and two of a smaller isocoles triangle used to make some different points. I worked through it and love this little quilt. You can see them right next to each other. So, while it was easy to draw in EQ, it was a little harder to execute in real life!

I quilted straight lines in the mountains for emphasis. I didn’t think the sky needed anything. Two different threads were used to quilt: 50 wt Mettler #9812 (variegated evening blue) and 40 wt Sulky, #1222 (baby blue) along with 60 wt. Superior Bottom line #635 (medium blue). I love when the threads just work and these did a fabulous job.

I often use these triangles and an extra piece in the middle for hanging a quilt.he binding was done by machine. This really makes finishing simple! [Note some asked: The extra piece I use when the quilt is bigger than 12″. You can use one nail or two nails to hang.]

I hope you enjoyed my excursion to the My Blue Mountains. The templates are available in my store (above) for free. They give you a placement guide; do ask me if you have trouble with it.

My Blue Mountains
20″ x 20″
Windham Fabrics, Titan Line 2017
Machine pieced/quilted
Piecing Thread: Aurifil 50 wt white
Quilting Threads: 50 wt Mettler #9812
40 wt Sulky #1222
60 wt Superior Bottom line #635
Batting: Quilter’s Dream Select*

Part of the fun of a blog hop is seeing what people have created. Here’s the list for the week, please play along and visit as many as you can. Below this you will see my usual what is coming up on the blog/and who I am linking to.

Monday, January 20th

Karrin’s Crazy World
Sew Many Yarns
Domestic Felicity
DayBrook Designs
Creatin’ in the Sticks

Coming Up:
Tutorial on Converting Picture to Mosaic in EQ8 (1/22)
Swap Mob Bag
2019 Monthly Color Block Quilt Finish (1/31)

Linking Up:
What I Made Monday
Midweek Makers #211
Free Motion Mavericks
Finished or Not Friday
TGIFF
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop
Show Me Something…Blue

1. January 21, 2020 / 4:02 pm

You have captured the mountains beautifully.

2. January 21, 2020 / 8:51 pm

Hi Kathleen, Love your fabrics! Your quilt has such a great modern tone.

• January 22, 2020 / 12:21 pm

Thank you, I think it does too!

3. January 21, 2020 / 9:28 pm

I never would have come up that the construction method you used for your Hop quilt. Mind. Blown!!!

• January 22, 2020 / 12:26 pm

You would have. And believe it is easier to draw one block and rotate and then refine (adding other blocks) as your vision develops. I am not an artist so EQ8 gets me there!

4. Robin
    January 22, 2020 / 1:15 am

Back in the late 60’s, very ealy 70’s I visited a Girl Scout Friend we had had overnight at our house in Wilmington, Delaware. She invited me to her home as a thank you. A beautiful home in the country. She and her brother climbed Hawk Mtn frequently therefore one of the the things I did while there was to climb Hawk Mtn. Not so much a mountain but an extremely huge vertical rock. As a city girl I was used to walking everywhere on sea level, certainly not vertically. But as much as much as I complain I had a great time, found out I could rock climb to the top and watch all types of large winged hawks. I’m going to try to make this block as a tribute to a very nice person I wish I kept in touch with and a challenge I accomplished in climbing that mountain.

• January 22, 2020 / 12:27 pm

I remember feeling exactly that way about the mountain. I now think I should do a lot more of it as the payoff of the view is well worth it. Templates should be ready shortly. I am having a little trouble with the one program I use to edit the EQ8 blocks, but I will get there.

5. January 22, 2020 / 9:47 am

I love that you showed us your hanging side as well. beautifully done! WV girl here! Love the Mountains!

• kathleenquilts
      January 22, 2020 / 12:37 pm

Aw, thank you! I love doing both – creating and sharing.

6. Susan S
    January 22, 2020 / 12:03 pm

Love your mountains. I also live in the mountains near the Appalachian Trail.

• January 22, 2020 / 12:29 pm

Thank you! Where do you live? I grew up in Reading PA and now live in Massachusetts (Boston) and Maine (Portland).

7. Mary
    January 22, 2020 / 2:03 pm

Such a “cool” design! I was just in the Great Smokey Mtns. this past weekend. It mostly looks like a brown carpet all crumpled up. 🙂 But in the spring and summer it is beautiful with all the fifferent shades of green! I would love your templates for these mountains! Thank you!

• kathleenquilts
      January 22, 2020 / 2:46 pm

Thanks so much. I have added you to the list and hope to have it by the end of the week.

8. Marsha
    January 22, 2020 / 2:31 pm

Hi Kathleen, love your mountains. I have a friend whose son is a fan of the Colorado Rockies baseball team and we are making a quilt for him. Could you please add me to your list for the template. I think these mountains are exactly what we’re looking for the quilt. Thank you so much.

• kathleenquilts
      January 22, 2020 / 2:47 pm

Happy to do so, I am thinking I will have them by the end of the week, but one of my editing programs is making me unhappy!!!

9. January 23, 2020 / 9:12 pm

I live not far from Hawk Rock, so I enjoyed your interpretation. I’d love your templates. Also thank you for the thread specifics I’m a fan of mettle variegateds.

• kathleenquilts
      January 24, 2020 / 10:56 am

I do love variegated threads and that mettler was perfect. The templates will go out tomorrow!

10. Marian Pena
    January 24, 2020 / 11:48 pm

What an amazing project. I loved seeing the process at which you did this and the quilting on the mountains is just beautiful. Absolutely loved it!!

• January 26, 2020 / 9:07 am

Thank you – it was a fun one!

11. Judy Blauer
    January 25, 2020 / 9:32 am

Just beautiful! Aren’t those hanging triangles just the best? The center strip is necessary often!

• January 25, 2020 / 9:31 pm

They sure are! Yes, when they get a little too big the center tab is just the fix!

12. January 25, 2020 / 9:45 am

I love this! the whole thought process and the way you designed it – andof course – any mountains are good in my book – I love the great outdoors~!

• January 25, 2020 / 9:30 pm

Thanks, Alycia! I am glad you enjoyed it and that it transported you to the outdoors

13. January 26, 2020 / 2:37 pm

Your soft blue palette is very pleasing and your points are all perfect! The quilting complements the design well.

• January 29, 2020 / 8:13 pm

I enjoyed quilting it and loved the design.

Sizzix