What a fun block we have! Sherry Shish at Powered by Quiltingoutdid herself with this design. I love the way it really does look like a Creative Grid Ruler*. She put it together in a way I don’t think that I would have – but Sherry is an engineer and thinks like an engineer.
A Word of Caution
Above you can see my first attempt. This block is all straight lines, but there are a lot of seams and lining up to to do. Do as we say not as we did – that is why we test blocks for you and give you terrific hints. After I saw my first attempt, I decided I needed to accurately measure all my pieces, starch and label.
- STARCH YOUR FABRIC WELL BEFORE CUTTING: I used “Mary Ellen’s Best Press*” and did it the way Kimbery Jolly does at Fat Quarter Shop*. I wet the fabric completely (not quite as much as she did, hung it over the tub and it was dried and ready to use in a few hours. I pressed the fabric again and off I went.
2. LABEL, LABEL, LABEL. I labelled when I cut. Here is a piece that has been pieced and made a label before it was pressed and recut. It really helps keep it organized.
3. MEASURE: Keep measuring as you are stitching. It is easier to make adjustments before you sew to the next segment
4. ALIGNING THE SEGMENTS: Use a ruler to help line up the sections
5. BASTING: I used basting stitches to keep things in line! Sometimes pins are not enough. I lengthen my stitch. Sew each piece carefully – just moving the pieces without trimming between sections. I then check and resew if they are not to my liking. You can also use Elmers Washable School Glue and hit it with a hot iron to stabilize but this is not a quilt I am washing right away, so I didn’t do that.
6. APPLIQUÉ STITCHES: I used a tiny stitch, about 1.8 to go around my fused numbers. It makes it so much easier to move fabric or go around those tight spaces!
You are now well equipped to be successful with your block! Hosts are listed below and any of us are happy to help…don’t hesitate to ask. There is information below for the segments/prizes as well as updated links to prior blocks and hosts links.
Segment Prize Eligibility:
Finish all blocks in a segment and post on either our linky party, our facebook page or instagram with #sewletsqal. One picture/post with either 5 finished blocks or a small quilt, bag etc. that shows all the blocks is needed – by May 20 11:59 for Segment 1)
Grand Prize Eligibility:
Finish all 13 blocks and put in either 1 quilt top (does not have to be quilted) OR a number of smaller projects that contain all 13 blocks.
*March 12th – Block 1: Sandra @ Sandra Healy Designs
*March 26th – Block 2: April @ JANDA Bend Quilts
*April 9th – Block 3: Sherry @ Powered by Quilting
*April 23rd – Block 4: Bobbi @ Snowy Days Quilting
*May 7th – Block 5 & Project Suggestions: Abbie @ Sparkle On!
*May 21st – Segment 1 Prize Winner Announced!
Segment 2 & 3 Dates (Specific details on these segments later)
Segment 2: May 21st to July 16th
July 16th – Segment 2 Prize Winner Announced!
Segment 3: July 16th to September 10
September 10th – Segment 3 Prize Winner Announced!
September 24th – Grand Prize Winner Announced!