A Patriotic Tablerunner

fullsizeoutput_1ac9

This little table runner was one that my sister-in-law had. Knowing Lori, she probably picked it up at an antique store nearby. It is one she uses on her porch for July 4th (and maybe other holidays). I had done some repairs on quilts before for her, but this piece was beyond hope. I could have replaced all the red stripe – it had shattered along those lines.

These were the fabrics I chose to replicate the table runner.

They reflect the tone and some of the lines of the fabric as you can see when it is placed on the old runner.

The pattern is simple enough. It is composed of nine patches with a red lattice & cornerstones. In the picture above an arrow is pointing to a section where the nine patches meet. This didn’t sit right with me so, I too some liberties with it.

Here is the finished new version. I love the way it looks and the red separating all the blocks please me. As I look at it now, maybe I could have left the center cornerstone out or added more cornerstones, but I like the effect of not having a cornerstone on every intersection!

Here’s a close up of the two of them together. Isn’t that red a nice compromise for not being able to find the stripe. I also like the cream squares in the newer version than the lavender flowers in the original.

I am sure my sister-in-law will enjoy it. I was going to drop it in the mail to her, but I may bring it on an unplanned visit that seems to have cropped up! This is one of my finishes for the 2019 Finish-a-long. Yipee!

Linking up to:
2019 Finish-A-Long – Quarter 2 Link Up!
Lets Bee Social #267
Friday Foto Fun – #80
Finished {or Not!} Friday!
2019 UFO & WIP Challenge

1. April 17, 2019 / 10:09 am

Hi Kathleen! I LOVE how this turned out. The red is a fabulous match, as are all fabrics actually. I’m sure your SIL will be just thrilled with how this turned out. I would use it from Memorial Day to Labor Day – they are all flag appropriate holidays. ~smile~ Roseanne

• kathleenquilts
      Author
      April 19, 2019 / 11:12 am

They are! And I know she will use it for more than one. I will see her soon to hand deliver; it makes me smile to give her something she’ll treasure.

2. April 17, 2019 / 10:35 am

What a wonderful re-creation, Kathleen. I am sure your sister-in-law will be thrilled with it!

• kathleenquilts
      Author
      April 19, 2019 / 11:06 am

I know she will, and an unexpected bonus is that I get to hand-deliver it.

3. April 17, 2019 / 5:45 pm

Oh did you ever do a fabulous job at replicating it Kathleen! Bet your SIL will be over the moon or should I say over the stars?!

• kathleenquilts
      Author
      April 19, 2019 / 11:05 am

She will – and the good news is I will see her soon and can hand deliver.

4. April 18, 2019 / 8:08 am

Great job on making an “almost twin” to the little antique. I think you made the right choice to make a new one rather than try to repair the old. What will you do with the old one? Just curious. How fun that you will get to hand deliver it too!

• kathleenquilts
      Author
      April 19, 2019 / 10:51 am

Thanks, Wendy. I know she will be happy with it. Think I will return it to her (I’ll see her in a few weeks) and let her choose. I might do a pin cushion or something from what is left, if it stays with me. The red is so gone on it you can’t really save it.

5. April 19, 2019 / 11:04 am

Your recreation is spot on! She is going to love it. Congrats on being able to mark it off the list.

• kathleenquilts
      Author
      April 19, 2019 / 11:10 am

It does bring me a good feeling on two counts – a finish and a faithful reproduction.

6. April 20, 2019 / 11:01 am

Amazing rendition. Your SIL will love it.

• kathleenquilts
      Author
      April 20, 2019 / 11:01 am

Thank you, I’m sure she will.

Bluprint Quilting Classes