Stars are something we see quite a lot of in the world of quilting! This month, Island Batik Ambassadors are celebrating stars with our Starstruck event!
The challenge asked for us to incorporate stars into your September project in any way you like – star pieced blocks, star appliques, or any other creative way you can dream up! Use any technique or method you like. My thanks for the fabric, batting and threads that were supplied by Island Batik and their associates, Aurifil and Hobbs.
So, as some of you know I designed this star in Electric Quilt 8*. I used the kaleidoscope/serendipty tool and was struck by this one outcome. I made an experimental block which finished at 8″ – what was I thinking? I was thinking I needed a proof of concept before I started. It worked so I began paper piecing. This was much easier than the smaller one as I was using a finished block of 32″. I printed both paper piecing patterns and templates. I used the templates to rough cut the pieces (about 1/2″ larger around than the actual piece). This usually works for me. I used both June Tailor* and Carol Doak’s paper*. Honestly, I think I like the June Tailor a little better.
Here I show two pictures of assembling the paper pieces that were a little larger than the paper. Two things helped. I used pins stuck into my cutting mat to line up the papers. I used the removable scotch tape* for the paper. Why? Because it irons the best (googled it and tried it). Hooray.
In order to keep things in order I loosely pin. The first picture shows it at the end of the pinning. The second shows the way it looks spread out. Sometimes I just don’t want to redo a seam because I switch a piece around inadvertently – that never happens right? This helped. Once pieced, I spray basted using the 505 Spray* and the Hobbs Thermore batting and then I was ready for quilting.
For quilting, I wanted to emphasize the points and the light extending from the stars so I did 3 lines in each of the star points and extensions. In the larger flying geese I did four lines (fewer stops and starts). I stippled in the white to make the star stand out. I used a beige Aurifil in the white (the white thread was too dominant) and a variegated orange for the points.The “bowtie” points stumped me for a bit but I decided to just continue some simple lines there too.
The larger picture shows it quilted and trimmed after a “victory lap” to hold everything in place.
Here’s the quilting on the back.
I decided to face the quilt rather than bind it! The SuperNova needed nothing else, as I wanted it to continue to expand into space. This tutorial from Robbie Joy Elkow is what I followed. My only change was adding a center hanging sleeve, which I did the same way as the white triangles. Her tutorial mentioned the corners may show, so I did them in the same batik in case they did.
The finished quilt. Right now it is hanging in my living room in Maine. I’ll post a picture tomorrow if there is enough light tomorrow (current status – rainy day). Also, this was one of my Quarterly Goals – always nice to meet the deadline!
32″ x 32″
Pieced with Aurifil 50 wt #2600
Quilted with Aurifil 50 wt #3920 and #2309 and #2205 (bobbin)
Hobbs Thermore Batting
Linking up with:
Confessions of a Fabric Addict: Can I Get a Whoop Whoop
Busy Hands: Finished or Not Friday
Clever Chameleon: Color Splash Linkup
Pretty Piney: What I Made Monday
The Inquiring Quilter: Wednesday Weight Loss
Sew Fresh Quilts: Lets Bee Social