Friday Favorite Things

I love being an Island Batik Ambassador! I am so excited because on Monday – finally – you will see my secret collection of fabrics – the Sweet Tweet line. There’s a giveaway so let your friends know. There are so many wonderful things about this program but I feel that I am growing as a quilter in new ways!

Island Batik Sweet Tweets

This week has been a re-entry jumble! I thought I would be sewing at least today, but not so much. The above is a piece I drafted on Electric Quilt 8*. Part of what I did used a tool called serendipity and I think it is marvelous! Maybe it will become a quilt. I wasn’t thinking so, but right now I see it in fabric….very soon! What would you call it?

I was making my Island Batik Ambasador project and I was about to sit down and draw my lines on the squares for a flip/sew piece when I realized STOP. You can use this tool. It saves me so much time. I totally love it.

img_4520.jpg

Here is a binding strip I am joining – same concept. It is not hard to eyeball this line, but now I don’t have to. The markings you see on the machine bed are from the Clearly Perfect Angles Tool*. Get it-you won’t be sorry. A bonus – you can take it off and reapply – its cling plastic. I have one for each of my machines! I don’t know how it works if you don’t have a plexiglass table/machine bed, but boy, I would never be without one again. Next week I will show how I end my bindings for a nice flat seam. You have probably seen this before, but I have a system that I like and sometimes the right explanations works for different people. It took me a long time to get this – so I think it is worth sharing. Again, this tool is not mandatory but it makes life so much easier!

The last favorite is the group, Partners in Design! We met over a year ago and are well into our second QAL – Fall into a QAL. On Tuesday, another block is revealed. You can join us on our Facebook page – Partners in Design.

So this will be a periodic entry and maybe I’ll even get others to chirp in!

img_4508.jpg

Happy weekend!

P.S.  You may have a little extra time this weekend/week as we settle into September.  Bluprint*, the new name for Craftsy Unlimited, is running its 7 day free trial.
FREE 7 Day Bluprint Trial at Craftsy.com

Linking Up:

Tish N Wonderland: UFO Busting

Powered by Quilting: Friday Foto Fun

1. Happy
    August 31, 2018 / 11:53 am

I think I’d call that block Nova or Flare… something explosive. It’s really great! Is it going to be made with paper piecing?

• kathleenquilts
      Author
      August 31, 2018 / 4:43 pm

Thank you! I love the names – and yes explosive is a good description. I do think there will be some paper piecing as some of those angle are wonky – or I may change them up a bit!

2. August 31, 2018 / 8:54 pm

Neat block! And thanks for your enthusiastic review of the Perfect Angles stick on thingy. I’ve been eyeing those 🙂

• kathleenquilts
      Author
      September 1, 2018 / 12:31 pm

I really love it – I am so glad I did it. I also love the triangle ruler, but that is another post! I did mail your fabric on Thursday so when you get your next shipment it should be there!

3. August 31, 2018 / 9:43 pm

Hi Kathleen! I am draw to your photo of all the Sweet Tweets fabrics. I like the way they are randomly laid out, yet that would be a fabulous quilt with blocks just as they are. All the fabrics are there, at different angles. Not that I don’t like your EQ8 block! Very cool and I agree with Happy’s ideas for a name. ~smile~ Roseanne

• kathleenquilts
      Author
      September 1, 2018 / 12:33 pm

The company did that photo but aren’t they delightful! I am really thinking about doing that block for my next Island Batik challenge. We will see!

4. September 1, 2018 / 12:30 am

Very dynamic star, Kathleen! How big are you thinking? I’ve used the Clearly Perfect Angles before. This reminds me that I have a spare one I could pull out and use. Think I’ll go look for it!

• kathleenquilts
      Author
      September 1, 2018 / 12:34 pm

I am thinking between 24 and 36 inches for the star. Do pull out that perfect angles – you won’t be sorry – it just is a great help for guiding everything!

5. September 1, 2018 / 1:53 pm

I’ve seen those…years ago there was one using cling film, wonder if it’s the same peeps or another? I like my Hera marker for anything bigger than 3″ squares. Smaller than that my Bernina (such a smart girl isn’t she?) machine has the marking on her extended table! Looking forward to Monday to your quilt!! The star design hmm, Cosmic Star? It makes me think of a starburst or supernova-looking star!

• kathleenquilts
      Author
      September 1, 2018 / 2:58 pm

Not sure if it is the same peeps – it works much better than the one I had before. I don’t love the Hera marker – its funny how there are some tools that just don’t work for you! I think the star maybe my September project. It is pretty fun as a 4 panel, but not sure I want to go so small with the block. We’ll see! It is definitely a starburst!

6. Cocoa Quilts
    September 2, 2018 / 6:35 am

I bought the clearly perfect angle last year and have no idea why I haven’t put it on my machine. I don’t like to mark lines, but I always do. May have to go look for it and hope it isn’t packed up. Can’t wait to see that block as a quilt.

• kathleenquilts
      Author
      September 2, 2018 / 10:15 am

We do sometimes hesitate for no good reason to use a tool. The only thing that bothers me is on my Janome, I have a drop in bobbin, so sometimes it is a tiny bit of a pain. However, my Janome’s 1/4 inch needs more adjusting than my Bernina – so it is more important to have it on. Even for that binding turn – on the corners – I find it a big help. Hope it isn’t too far down in the stuff!

7. Quilting Tangent
    September 2, 2018 / 11:23 am

Pretty block – Star Burst!

• kathleenquilts
      Author
      September 2, 2018 / 12:53 pm

Thank you – for stopping by and your star burst is a good name.

8. September 4, 2018 / 2:05 pm

I can’t wait to see what you came up with for those beautiful fabrics…they are so yummy! What a neat little tool for no fuss marking! I can see why you are in love with it.

• kathleenquilts
      Author
      September 5, 2018 / 10:29 am

The fabrics are so much fun to play with – one of my favorite things about quilting. Believe me – that tool saves time. I did mark with a sharpie the lines on my straight line, but the angles are awesome as well as the horizontal registration lines near the needle!

9. September 6, 2018 / 9:23 pm

I love the block you designed! I also love clearly perfect angles! Definitely a great tool!

• September 6, 2018 / 9:49 pm

Its funny how much time that tool saves me! I am doing a tiny trial of the block over the next two days (8” size). We may want it to hang where something else is….so I need to check that size.