The fabrics, some of the thread and the batting were provided by Island Batik and their partners, Aurifil and Hobbs Batting.
Welcome to my secondary pattern or are there 3 patterns here or even more? Island Batik challenged the ambassadors this month to design a quilt with a secondary pattern – Pattern Play! This logo, chosen by Island Batik, has one of my favorite patterns, Storm at Sea. I love the way you get curves by the triangles in the right place. Since the logo was leaning that way, I decided to lean another way.
As I thought about my design, my fabric pile was dwindling, but I had the remains of the Mountains Majestry strip set and some yardage so off I went. I decided to use a Snowball block and a 9-patch friendship star. I loved the way it looked when put together. I liked the saw blade effect that became the secondary and larger design. It also allowed me to feature one of the fabrics which I had a lot of.
I was, however, limited in size by the fact that the only yardage I had left was the beige and a bit of this green. Well, I then worked up a couple of different images of this design. I loved this but didn’t really have enough of the blues. So another color way was chosen. I loved the brown tree trunks and the beige forest animals. Rather than wind up with a winter quilt, I chose this design, which reminded me more of the lushness of the mountains and the stars in the sky at night.
In the spirit of making all things difficult – I had to “squeeze” those half square triangles out of the strip sets. I used narrow seams, but they are seams, and the block finished at 1 3/4″! I also trimmed the strips down to make the square blocks. To top it off, I was short one pair of half square triangles, but I had some blue that I could piece and figured you wouldn’t be able to see it, unless I told you where it was! The finished block size was 5″.
I loved the way it began to come together. As I looked at it, I could see three distinct patterns, you may see another. I pieced with my favorite Aurifil thread, the 50wt, in a beige #2000 and a a little darker grey beige, #5011 was used for the the bobbin and some of the quilting on the front. Hobbs Thermore was the batting I used. I am really enjoying this batting. It gave me no problem when I spray basted with 505 and used a modified Christa Watson technique with a portable design wall.
In continuing the theme of making all things difficult, I wanted to use Island Batik for the back. Did I have enough to make it easy? No. How about binding – did I have enough? No. In the pieced binding is a bit of the light blue, the brown, and a blue black. Of course, I couldn’t even do the normal mitered join for the strips, I was that close!! I liked the blue in the binding as it draws your eyes to the center squares a bit, as the beige could be a bit overwhelming.
So I used up nearly every last strip from the Jelly Roll making the back and binding. Those favorite ice blue strips didn’t quite work, but I am sure you will see them sometime soon.
I am loving designing my own quilts and learning that I really need to understand the constraints of what I have as I design. I’m getting there and I am enjoying it. I violated so many rules: seam allowance, joining binding strips, not thinking ahead to bring the right fabric with me…. BUT I did it. You can too. This is an easy pattern, and I may write it up sometime, using proper amounts. It was doable – but not for the faint of heart!
Starry Nights in the Mountains
35″ x 45″
Island Batik fabrics, Aurifil thread and Hobbs Batting
Linking up to:
Sarah Goer Quilts – TGIFF
Confessions of a Fabric Addict – Can I Get a Whoop Whoop
Cooking Up Quilts – Main Crush Monday
Pretty Piney – What I Made Monday
Free Motion by the River – Linky Tuesday