Confetti Quilt for my father – TBT

I finished this quilt for my father in 2001. I began it in a class, at the Northeast Quilters Show (?) in 1999. It was a class taught by Sharon Newman and I thoroughly enjoyed it. At the time my son was 6, so you can see why it took me until 2001 to finish it. I wasn’t as good at getting back to projects as I am now, andprobably didn’t leave things out so that the young child wouldn’t destroy it!   The pattern was in a book called Treasures from Yesteryear.

I did a mix of hand and machine quilting, which was a perfect blend of old and new techniques.  I felt like it gave it that extra special touch.

I pieced the back with some leftovers from the front. This was a technique ha been around for a long time, but has had a recent resurgence with modern quilts.  I find it depends on the purpose, it was a quilt to be used, and, he did in his chair most every night in the family room.

img_0032I even made a label!  This was before I developed the technique for labeling, which you can find  here. It is a little like big stitch embellishment or quilting – again maybe ahead of its time!

Dad is no longer here.  The quilt came back to me when he died, and I cherish it.

8081D4FB-10E8-46BB-9F87-510CF2C67B0D.jpegThanks to Sandra for sponsoring Throwback Thursday! She too, wrote about a quilt for her dad this time.  It is great to revisit these treasures.  This is a pretty old picture, but one I love of the two of us.

1. July 5, 2018 / 9:04 pm

I noticed the connection that you and Sandra both shared about quilts for your father’s today. It’s nice getting to remember such lovingly created and gifted quilts.

• kathleenquilts
      Author
      July 5, 2018 / 9:08 pm

It was fun to revisit the quilt and think about my Dad. He really loved that quilt and for that reason, it i one of my favorites.

2. July 6, 2018 / 9:42 am

A pretty quilt with so many memories. I went back and read your label tutorial. I need to do that more often with my quilts, and your process makes it easy to do. Thanks!

• July 6, 2018 / 12:13 pm

Thank you, Wendy. I am glad you went back to the tutorial. It is so easy to do if you do the little label before/as you prepare binding. The Pigma Pens last too!! which is a good thing. I have one I washed the other day and that was printed on fabric, and it is entirely plain white (and I know I followed the directions for setting). So printed on computer may work, but only if it is not going to be washed too frequently.

3. July 6, 2018 / 9:55 am

What a wonderful memory you have-so glad the quilt got returned to you.

• July 6, 2018 / 12:25 pm

Thank you, Vicki. I have one that I made for my Mom, too. I have an idea who they may go to, but haven’t quite decided….meanwhile I am enjoying having them.

4. July 6, 2018 / 11:44 pm

Sweet story and sweet quilt. I like how you mixed hand and machine quilting, and the way you used the leftovers from the front to piece the back. It’s my favorite way to make a back. The best part of your story is that your father used the quilt every evening. Sad that he is gone, but what a lovely remembrance for you.

• kathleenquilts
      Author
      July 7, 2018 / 10:43 am

It really is one of my favorites; in its simplicity and its history. I love the scrappiness of it, too. So glad you stopped by and enjoyed its story.