A String Quilt – A Group Effort

Isn’t this a happy quilt?  It began on a spring retreat in 2016 with members of the Rising Star Quilt Guild.  I have been going for a very long time to these weekends.   I love them as we sew, eat, laugh and have a great time.  We also play games.  That year we brought strings in rainbow colors.  I no longer remember the game, but I remember the aftermath!   We had piles of strings (we all brought a quart size bag of strips.  At the end of the game, there are blocks that get constructed into benefit quilts.  The leftovers were on the center table. Well, the compulsive among us sorted them.  I couldn’t stand throwing them out, so I brought them home to make a benefit  quilt.

IMG_1760 2I have followed and admired Mary at Mary Quilts/Making Quilts from Stash and loved what she creates.  My decision was to use up some white strings and then do whatever color family you wanted on each size.  We made them on 8 1/2″ square notebook paper.   Missy and Gwen are among those I know who made blocks, but I am sure there were others.  They are great mindless sewing.  We then came up with this design. I can’t tell you how many people sewed but everyone had fun.

I love the happy star that was quilted by my friend Chris.  She, in fact, is the creator of the game.  For instance, one year it was a version of Chopped – a basket of mystery ingredients and you had to make a block!

I found this colored snowflake backing on sale, and loved it.  I think this quilt could work for either a boy or a girl and is really cheerful.  If you look carefully, you can see my faithful assistant in the next picture.

I know this quilt will make someone very happy and that makes me happy.

img_4429-1.jpg

This quilt “Rainbow Strings” was on my list for the 3rd Quarter Finish Along and my One Monthly Goal.  It was done Friday, but just blogging about it on Monday.

Linking up to:
Elm Street Quilts – One Monthly Goal
Sew Fresh Quilts – Lets Bee Social
Busy Hand Quilts – Finished or Not Friday
Third Quarter Quilting Goals (at beginning of October)

1. July 30, 2018 / 9:54 pm

Oh, I love rainbow and this string quilt is so wonderful. Love the quilting pattern. The back is so perfect! You did wonderful.

• kathleenquilts
      Author
      July 30, 2018 / 10:01 pm

Thanks, Dawn. I am just glad to have rescued the strips and that someone will love it!

2. July 31, 2018 / 6:19 am

I love the dynamic in these lovely bands of colour. A wonderful result from the left-overs!

• kathleenquilts
      Author
      July 31, 2018 / 11:10 am

Thank you, Marly. It is a very lively quilt. So pleased that we rescued some of those strings. Our junior quilters got the rest.

3. patty
    July 31, 2018 / 7:14 am

That sure is a fun and cheerful quilt! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

• kathleenquilts
      Author
      July 31, 2018 / 11:11 am

You are so welcome. I love the OMG! I get more done than I would without it!

4. July 31, 2018 / 10:08 am

What a great way to finish using up scraps. It is a very happy quilt!

• kathleenquilts
      Author
      July 31, 2018 / 11:12 am

Happy the quilt is and happy am I for having it ready to donate!

5. July 31, 2018 / 8:06 pm

Oh yes, this quilt will definitely make someone happy. So many bright, pretty colors!

• August 1, 2018 / 7:02 pm

It really does have so many colors. Some of them I thought were too dull but together they all work!

6. July 31, 2018 / 9:54 pm

Scrappy string quilts are just the best! I could spend hours peering at all those happy fabrics, looking for hidden treasures like the basketballs and butterflies. The star quilting is great, too! 🙂

• August 1, 2018 / 7:05 pm

I, too, love looking at the fabrics! Some, I recognize as things I put in the stash. It really is a nice way to reduce some stash and make a fun quilt.

7. August 1, 2018 / 6:03 am

Hi Kathleen, this quilt looks gorgeous and I am sure whoever it is gifted to will be so very happy. Your blog is gorgeous and I will be following along with your Island Batik Ambassador projects x

• August 1, 2018 / 7:06 pm

Thanks, Fi! The blog was a long time coming but the last blogger adventure pushed me over the edge. I am very pleased with it – and intend to blog about it. I hope next week. The Island Batik projects are so much fun. Thanks for following along!

8. August 1, 2018 / 1:20 pm

I love how there is a strip of white fabric down the center of each block. That’s a great way to brighten up a string quilt.

• August 1, 2018 / 7:51 pm

I think the stripe gives you a lot of options – as you can imagine. I have a few left from miscuts that I plan to do something with…someday.

9. August 3, 2018 / 5:20 am

Beautiful quilt and lovely quilting. The colors are so cheerful. But the best part about this quilt is the celebration of the community. What a fun thing to do with your quilty friends!!!

• August 7, 2018 / 8:25 pm

Thank you, Preeti. It really is fun when a group participates in a quilt that goes to someone in need. It is one of my favorite things about quilting.