I am pleased to show you my first modern quilt – designed and executed by me. The fabric and Hobbs thermore batting and some Aurifil threads were given to me by the Island Batik company – thank you very much!
So, the challenge was to create a quilt that was modern, which should include some of the following properties:
the use of bold colors and prints,
high contrast and graphic areas of solid color,
expansive negative space, and
alternate grid work.
I took to EQ8 to experiment and loved this little drawing I came up with. I didn’t have quite enough of one purple, so used two…no harm done. The quilt as designed met quite a few of the \ the requirements: graphic, negative space, high contrast and minimalism.
I knew there was a reversal, but kept convincing myself that I could make the same block and twist it around the center. NO NO NO. That was absolutely wrong. So, I remade two blocks, one the right way one not. What can you do?
I thought about changing the design and asked for some opinions – you can see the options above. One was off center, one was adding more space between the blocks and the last was just continuing on and that is what I did. I choose to stick with as designed, however, I liked some of the other options so will try again.
What did I learn? I loved the block and the design process. Constructing the block presented more trouble than I expected. I carefully measured and marked things to keep the lines together. I was using a bigger block because they were 2.5″ strips. What I found was that I have to learn how to understand the reversed blocks! The other thing I learned is that pondering makes a project that was designed in May stretch out until the end of June.
The quilting was fun. I secured the blocks with in the ditch sewing, using Superior Mono-poly. Then I started from the center out, using an Aurifil 50 wt. #1148. I really liked doing the intense quilting in the center, but, didn’t want to call attention to the one block that is off. Next, I quilted the purple a little more intensely than the green would be quilted.! wanted to emphasize the green strips but not in such a dense motif. Then, the binding. I could have done a facing, but this may be used a baby quilt, so I wanted to have a binding. There wasn’t quite enough of anything for a standard or traditional binding. Well, the materials dictate the result sometimes, and a pieced binding it is. The teal was my favorite color so I had enough of two kinds to almost get around. The purple was the second favorite, so a smidge of that would work (lower left in this picture)! Voila – it is finished.
I still love the pattern and have an idea about a different, and maybe easier way to do it. Dreaming about other ways of doing things, or easier ways to create a design, is part of the creative process. I am pleased with the result – different from the plan – but enough like it to make me smile.
Thanks to all who commented and encouraged me and special thanks to Island Batik, Hobbs and Aurifil. I loved the challenge and look forward to revisiting this effort in the near future.