Squiggling along

This pile is being transformed on a weekly basis.  I am making a Squiggles quilt following along with Christa Watson.  Its not too late to get in on the fun, especially if you have the right precuts hanging around.   I won this grouping of fabrics a few months ago and it seemed to work quite well with this pattern.  So, week 1 goal was met. These fabrics are all cut.  I used my new Sizzix to cut the squares and half square triangles.

Here’s the pile of half trimmed and half not trimmed blocks.   I think I have about 132 blocks and will make a 10×13 quilt.  I was a little short of what the pattern calls for, but decided to go ahead.  I could add a little grey border if I wanted it a little bigger.  Honestly, I found the precut to be pretty helpful, but there are always still some inaccuracies.  As you can see the triangles have the dog ears trimmed, so I didn’t have to draw the line.  I trimmed with my scissors. Week 2 –  make the blocks – is complete.

Week 3 is assembling the quilt and by the end of today I hope to be making some progress on that. Last night I started laying it out and today I finished (vinyl tablecloths can be carefully folded and most pieces stay in place on the flannel back.  This afternoon I finish laying it all out on the bed – carefully marked the rows and put in little piles.

I am taking some time matching things up.  It is almost all working out!  The first two rows I redid most of the join.  It was just off too much.  I.AM.PINNING.  It is much easier to keep it lined up.  Sometimes, I just use my fingers, but today it went better with pins.  Who is to second guess why some days it works and some it doesn’t?

Holding my breath as I have 9 more rows to go.

I am quilting along with a few internet friends, check them out at:

Rose at Something Rose Made

Wendy at Pieceful Thoughts of My Quilting Life

Jan at Cocoa Quilts.

Linking up with: Inquiring Quilters Wait Loss Wednesdays

1. Jan @Cocoa Quilts
    January 31, 2018 / 1:28 pm

Kathleen it is looking great. I just finished up putting it together yesterday. Need to find some backing for next week.

February 1, 2018 / 12:03 am

Thanks, Jan and congrats on finishing the assembly. My backing is on order, so that will be early next week. I have three days to sew, my plan is to do a little each day.

2. Nicole
    January 31, 2018 / 4:58 pm

Those fabric do look great together and your progress is awesome. Congrats on having a die cutter to speed things up!

February 1, 2018 / 12:04 am

It was a great collection by Moda. I went with a Sizzix which allows you to cut more and cheaper entry point. I may need to upgrade, but for now I think it will do what I need.

3. Marsha Cooper
    January 31, 2018 / 6:52 pm

I've made blocks like that in the past for a quilt….quite fun.

February 1, 2018 / 1:35 am

I agree, Marsha, they are fun. Also, it was a good use of a set of fat eighths I won last year. I believe that it will be a charity quilt in about 5 weeks – if I keep up!

January 31, 2018 / 8:11 pm

Ohhh, I love your grey background! The color combo is great, too!

February 1, 2018 / 1:38 am

Thanks, Nancy. I love the Moda Grunge line and it worked well with this Moda line.

5. piecefulwendy
    January 31, 2018 / 10:32 pm

I like the gray background color! It's coming along really well. I'm still sewing away on my blocks. I'll be laying mine out on a bed too; no wall space big enough! Thanks for the highlight to visit my blog!

February 1, 2018 / 1:40 am

Thanks, Wendy. I am pleased with my progress. None today as I was out "fabric shopping" – yikes! The good news is that it was for a class with Paula Nadelstern so very specific. Not sewing during the day tomorrow but Friday and Saturday are unscheduled. Its back is arriving so I should get my hands on some batting.

6. Louise
    February 1, 2018 / 3:46 pm

Your colors are great on this quilt! I use a super fancy vinyl tablecloth, too 🙂 Those stitch and flip corners can be tricky to match up, and I'm always happier when I pin them. But pinning is a pain!

February 5, 2018 / 3:53 am

Thanks, Louise, but really the designer of the line did the work on the colors! I was just fortunate enough to win the fat eigtht collection. And, yes, pinning was a pain but the only way to go!

7. Yvonne @Quilting Jetgirl
    February 4, 2018 / 3:13 pm

Great progress, Kathleen! I don't always use pins, either, but sometimes they are just the right tool. 🙂

February 5, 2018 / 3:51 am

It’s funny about pinning but those triangles just wouldn’t cooperate. Sometimes the tools win!

8. Jennifer Schifano Thomas
    February 7, 2018 / 1:22 pm

I love the way this is coming out! The fabrics and colors are speaking to me.

February 8, 2018 / 12:55 am

Thanks, Jennifer. I won them last year on won of the blog hops. I think a benefit quilt is a nice way to return the gift!