Mariner’s Compass, an oldie but goodie

We recently hung this Mariner’s Compass in my husband’s study.  I made the quilt with him in mind.  The fabric was bought on a trip to Bermuda, maybe spring of 2005.  I always wanted him to hang it somewhere, but not until the new apartment did that wish get fulfilled.   I was able to take a class with with Judy Matheison, the master of the mariner’s compass block,  in November 2005.

The quilting follows along the lines of the compass.  In the border, I used a stencil with an egg and dart pattern – maybe not this exact one and a frond in the corners of the block.  This is early in my machine quilting days but it certainly was enough to make it work, and holds the quilt together nicely.  I loved the fabric on the back and in fact, and had a friend get some in San Francisco on one of her trips.

The label was done for  show, probably Rising Star in the fall of 2006.   I can’t quite figure out the title, as I would have thought it might have to do with latitude and longitude but it doesn’t.  I looked up the entry in the show, and that had nothing to indicate what it meant. [Addendum:  I figured it out – To get to Bermuda from Boston it is 770 Miles SE]

I do love the quilt and am pleased to show you an old but favorite block/quilt.

1. Yvonne @Quilting Jetgirl
    December 12, 2017 / 5:07 am

How great to have a spot to hang it now. It's silly, but I feel like 770SE is some kind of treasure hunt start. 🙂

December 12, 2017 / 3:38 pm

Very silly, but I figured it out. To get to Bermuda from Boston it is 770 miles SE! It was bugging me, too.

2. Sandra Walker
    December 12, 2017 / 1:19 pm

I think that is both fun and hilarious that you have a mystery to solve that you unintentionally created! This is a beauty and to have had the opportunity to take a class with THE Judy Mathieson—! I love that backing too—I believe I have it in black and JUST used it the other day in my Splash of Colour QAL (which isn’t making the deadline). Paula Nadelstern, I think? No selvage left on it.

December 12, 2017 / 10:55 pm

Hilarious it is! I did finally figured it out after yoga this morning. To go to Bermuda from Boston it is 770 miles SE! I will have to check the selvage when I get home (in snowy soon to be rainy Maine). I am taking a Paula Nadelsstern class in March…so excited.

3. somethingrosemade14@blogspot.com
    December 12, 2017 / 3:56 pm

It's nice to have a quilt you love finally hanging up, isn't it? I love that you used a print for the background, it gives the quilt such a nice gentle flow. Have safe travels back to Maine!

December 12, 2017 / 10:49 pm

Thanks, Rose. Traveling home from Maine tomorrow and then not back up until after Christmas. Am ready to be in one place for 10 days!

4. Cheryl
    December 12, 2017 / 5:48 pm

Beautiful quilt and I bet it looks great on the wall.

December 12, 2017 / 10:48 pm

Thank you, Cheryl.

5. Louise
    December 12, 2017 / 10:17 pm

Beautiful mariner's compass! Such a classic block. I love that bought the fabric in Bermuda as a memento of your trip 🙂

6. piecefulwendy
    December 13, 2017 / 12:27 am

I have always liked Mariner's Compass blocks (all things pointy, y'know). This is such a pretty quilt, and I'm so happy you now have it on display. Glad you figured out the mystery!

December 13, 2017 / 9:28 pm

Love the flying geese around the mariner's compass! Nice to have a home for it.