A finish during the season of downsizing!

My 2016 row by row from Alewives Fabrics in Damariscotta, ME  is finally done!  I had the top done at the end of June and really thought I would have quilted it sooner, but it took awhile.

I love to go to Alewives Fabrics.  Rhea and her crew have great fabrics, samples and patterns.  They are quite busy in the summer season but her enthusiasm carries throughout the year!  Rhea worked at Cambridge Quilts (where I also worked) when she was attending school in Boston.  Her design and color sense are always spot on!

I really enjoyed quilting this.

• For the outside border, straight lines
  • For the inner border, a wavy, rounded zig zag line
  • For the sky and grass/hills, a wavy line.

This shows you a close up of the binding.  I used a method I have used before and really like it from Sew Fresh Quilts.   My only problem was I was really close on fabric and kept praying it would work – measuring it out was not an assurance that turning those corners would make it.  In the end, I had about 6″ of binding left – a little too close for my liking!

It’s  a simple table runner and I’ll use it in my Maine cottage.  I was thinking of hanging it over one of the doors in the upstairs, but I might need 4 to do that, so I will think about that and what I have left of other row by rows OR repeat one.

In the next week or so, I’ll regroup on my UFOs.  First, I must register two quilts for our guild in the fall (and finish one of them).  I am really slowed up with the move, and my primary sewing study is a disaster.  My goal is to have room to sew by Labor Day weekend.

Linking up to:  Wednesday Wait Loss

1. Yvonne @Quilting Jetgirl
    August 8, 2017 / 9:00 pm

The binding ties it all together so beautifully. I am glad you had just enough!

August 9, 2017 / 12:12 am

Thanks, Yvonne. It really is a nice technique for smaller things.

2. Goofin' Off Around the Block
    August 9, 2017 / 2:20 am

Kathleen, This looks fantastic! It will go well no matter where you decide to display it. Good luck on your organizing project. My room almost never looks organized…even if I know where everything is. Happy sewing! Andrea

August 9, 2017 / 2:35 pm

Thanks, Andrea! I am very pleased with the way it turned out. If it were only an organizing project – moved from a large house to a 3 bedroom apartment! We still have our cottage in Maine but I have much less space and am short a desk at the moment!! Soon it will be better; to ease the stree we go to Maine every few days and then return and tackle a new piece!

3. somethingrosemade14@blogspot.com
    August 9, 2017 / 1:33 pm

This quilt just makes me smile–I love this quilt with all of the greens, such a sweet pattern. Nice finish with the quilting and the binding and I wouldn't call it a simple table runner–it's wall worthy.

August 9, 2017 / 2:36 pm

Thanks, Rose. I have the same reactions. I think its the greens (more yellow than my usual choices) and the Dr. Seuss-like trees!

4. Home Sewn By Us
    August 9, 2017 / 5:03 pm

Hi Kathleen,I really love, love, LOVE that lime green border. And the brown, too, for that matter – although to be honest I didn't notice the brown one until you mentioned the quilting on it. I had to go back – my eyes were drawn to your second photo. This is really nice! ~smile~ Roseanne

August 12, 2017 / 4:39 pm

I'm so glad you love the lime green. I did too. The photos don't do the brown justice, as it has flecks of the green and blue in it… Thanks for stopping by Roseanne

5. piecefulwendy
    August 9, 2017 / 7:50 pm

Okay, Alewives is on my list of places to visit! I love the quilt; the fabrics are really fun as well as the design. The flanged binding adds a fun pop too!

August 12, 2017 / 4:46 pm

You'll love Alewives. Your packet of 48hrs in a few towns is on its way to Northfield. My husbands Uncle started the Stanton airfield there and my husband took some flying lessons their in his youth! Small world….his mother was Malcolm Manuel's sister. I did meet Margaret twice, early in our marriage. She was quite something too!

August 9, 2017 / 10:42 pm

Love how you took one row and made it into a table runner.

August 12, 2017 / 4:34 pm

Thank you, Nancy. I have done this with a few of them and I really like it! I have a few more to do/finish in the stash somewhere. Staying off the row by row this summer with the downsizing project!

7. Abbie
    August 10, 2017 / 4:24 am

Such a happy quilt with so much character! You did a beautiful job 🙂

August 12, 2017 / 4:33 pm

Thank you, Abbie. It was a fun row by row quilt to do!