A finished top #FreeFallQAL

My Free Fall Quilt Along project is done, well the top is done.  “Done” is a funny term for quilts, as there are often many stages of done in getting to the the finished quilt.  Here are a few things quilters consider a quilt done:

1. finishing the blocks,
  2. piecing the blocks together,
  3. sometimes adding borders,
  4. quilting the quilt,
  5. adding the binding,
  6. putting the label on – NOW IT IS REALLY DONE!

I really love the way it turned out.  I hope to get it basted so I can quilt soon, but am traveling this weekend, so it won’t happen until next week at the earliest.   I have a few ideas about quilting it, but haven’t really settled on the plan just yet.

Thank you, Sandra @ mm quilts for a great QAL.  It was fun to see what others choose and an unexpected project that I really enjoyed – using up my stash/scraps is one of my goals this year – and I love this little quilt.

Linking up to Let’s Bee Social

Things I am working on:

April and May UFOs (a little late on April)

-Prepping M3 (Meadow Mist Mystery) Quilt for quilting on 5/23

-finish shashiko block and make pillow cover

Ongoing

-pick some colors for La Passacagalia

-begin animal alphabet quilt

-label a few quilts (I think there are about 4 needing labels)

1. Cut&Alter
    May 18, 2017 / 10:45 am

This is a great finished top – love the colours you have used. How are you planning on quilting it?

May 18, 2017 / 12:10 pm

Not sure yet, I always stabilize some of the big lines then make my decision. I am thinking lines over the leaves in the green in a green thread but I am not sure…. It's a small quilt so I will try to challenge myself in some way!

2. piecefulwendy
    May 18, 2017 / 12:31 pm

Your Freefall is very lovely; the colors are so soothing. You have some fun things lined up on your list. Looking forward to seeing your progress on them!

May 18, 2017 / 9:16 pm

Thanks, Wendy. Off to teach a Finish It Up Class, ironic isn't it! I won't be quilting for a few days but look forward to next week and getting back to it!

3. Yvonne @Quilting Jetgirl
    May 18, 2017 / 4:39 pm

It looks wonderful, Kathleen! Do you have thoughts on adding a border or how you might finish it?

May 18, 2017 / 9:21 pm

Thanks, Yvonne! I haven't yet decided on the quilting. No border as I don't have enough of anything I want to use. I don't have a plan but I am thinking I want to emphasize either the individual leaves or the large leaf. I may have to stablize the quilt and see if it tells me anything! I also know there is the making veins in the leaves, but I have done that numerous times, so we'll see where I get inspired! Wont get to it until next week at earliest.

4. somethingrosemade14@blogspot.com
    May 19, 2017 / 12:27 am

Your top is wonderful, I love the colors/fabric you chose. Unfortunately for me, my Juki decided to take a break from me so I won't be able to sew mine until next week.

May 30, 2017 / 11:04 pm

Thanks, Rose! Hope you get that fixed soon.

5. Sandra Walker
    May 30, 2017 / 8:13 pm

OMG Kathleen I just ADORE this!! So glad you had fun doing this and shopped your stash to boot! As for quilting, definitely stabilize; gosh did I write that in the assembly and quilting suggestions post? I meant to, and I always do stabilize. People think it takes away from the quilting motif but it never does, just blends in right? Thank you so much for doing this!

May 30, 2017 / 11:07 pm

Thanks, Sandra. I am very pleased with the way it came out and it was really fun. It does force me to behave well and keep sewing as I hate being late for deadlines. I don't know if you wrote about stabilizing, but it helps me focus on the quilting plan and free up some of the pinning!

6. Lorna McMahon
    June 10, 2017 / 1:08 pm

Your finished top is very pretty! What lovely fabrics you chose!

June 10, 2017 / 1:15 pm

Thank you, Lorna.

7. Nancy J
    June 15, 2017 / 10:12 pm

Lovely fabric choices Kathleen, those greens are truly lovely, I have finally finished mine at the 11th hour!!! I would have liked to add a border, but I, too, didn't have enough fabric that matched. A great QAL.

8. Kathleen
    June 16, 2017 / 12:27 pm

Thanks, Nancy. Did you quilt yours, or just finish the top? I am having fun seeing all the finishes.

9. Vicki in MN
    June 16, 2017 / 12:52 pm

Beautiful, I love the colors you chose for yours.

June 21, 2017 / 12:52 am

Thanks, Vicki

10. Lisa J.
    June 17, 2017 / 12:43 am

This is a great version of this quilt Kathleen. I love the greenish blocks on the darker green shadow print. Very nice. It looks like you have an interesting list of projects in the works.

June 21, 2017 / 12:52 am

Thanks Lisa! I do have plenty to do!

11. works4me
    June 17, 2017 / 9:17 pm

Another wonderful version of the quilt. I, too, got as far as a top. I am partly finished the first stage of quilting which, for me, is outlining each of the small leaves. I even know how I am going to do the rest of the quilting. Now, if only life would co-operate.

June 21, 2017 / 12:52 am

Thank you! Life is on the fast track right now, but I see some settling down in the near future!