A class and a plan….

This was a really busy week for me with 5 appointments, work and a class on the weekend.  I didn’t get a whole lot of quilting done, but here is what I did when I had time (or the class).

The layout of the rest of the leaves on #freefallqal

I continued my work on #freefallqal sponsored by Sandra at mmm! quilts.  Earlier in the week, I followed Yvonne’s suggestion and tried to figure out the location of blocks before I piece the last 6 blocks for the quilt.   I think this will work and  I began piecing the first two.  I got lost somewhere, and put it down until later today, when I should have more time and a clearer mind to see where I went wrong.  I didn’t piece it so it was the parts of the unit that were driving me nuts.  I do believe in stopping when it isn’t working out.

On Saturday, I took a class with Nancy Halpern.  She is a local quilter who has been quilting for over 20 years.  She has taught nationally and internationally and I was intrigued by her quilts.  You can see a little more about her here.  Below is a picture of a traditional Japanese Puzzle quilt.

A traditional Japanese Puzzle by Mabry Benson

Our task was to take an impressionist picture or a picture of our choosing and turn it into a Japanese puzzle quilt.  You can see a bit of  the picture on the bottom right of the picture below.

It is a complex process of cutting out the four pieces from one fabric and rejoining them with adjacent blocks.

Here is a piece of the Japanese Puzzle on Nancy’s quilt

The actual patch that is sewn is outlined in the red lines.

I have no idea when I’ll get back to this, but here is where I left it my quilt at the end of the day.  I attempted to have the water going around the blocks.  It is fun seeing how this might work!  I have to admit halfway through the process I was unsure.  I do hope that I can get back to it before long.

End of the day

Meanwhile, I will link to Sew Fresh Quilts for Let’s Be Social Wednesday!

1. Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl
    May 11, 2017 / 3:07 am

It sounds like a very busy week! I like where your Freefall quilt is headed. 🙂

May 12, 2017 / 12:27 am

Thanks, Yvonne!

2. Tish Stemple
    May 11, 2017 / 1:42 pm

I love how your Freefall quilt is floating right into place. I look forward to following your progress on the puzzle quilt. It is such an interesting concept.

May 12, 2017 / 12:28 am

Tish, thank you. The Japanese puzzle is an interesting one. I look forward to getting some time to get back to it!

3. Paige
    May 11, 2017 / 10:52 pm

Whatever the layout, your Freefall is looking good! I have never seen the Japanese puzzle quilt. Looks like you choose the perfect photo to intrepret.

May 13, 2017 / 2:45 pm

Thank you Paige! I think it should be a lot of fun once I get back to it.

4. piecefulwendy
    May 13, 2017 / 1:21 am

So many fun Freefalls I'm seeing, including yours! I've not ever seen the Japanese puzzle quilt either. It looks intriguing.

May 13, 2017 / 2:44 pm

Many thanks! I love the quilt and am anxious to put it together. The Japanese puzzle block has been around for awhile, but this way of doing it (using a picture) is a bit different.

May 13, 2017 / 2:19 pm

Ohhh, love this! Interesting to see the Japanese puzzle pattern laid out according to a photo. I like it!

May 13, 2017 / 2:29 pm

Thanks, Nancy. I won't get back to it for a few weeks but I do look forward to it. It is an interesting approach.